Sunday, August 14, 2011

WEEK 8: Teaching with Online Tools

This week I’ve known more online tools for enhancing learning. Among those tools, ANVILL which puts the main focus on oral/aural language practice is a good tool for communicative development. Some of the tools in ANVILL are Voiceboards, LiveChat, Quizzes and Surveys and Tcast. Most of these modern web-based audio and video tools are very motivating and useful for learner autonomy encouragement.

I like Voiceboards that is good to encourage multimedia communication in which teachers or learners can easily post or respond to an oral/aural assignment. Especially, teachers can address students to Voiceboards for students’ speaking skill enhancement because students are able to practice their pronunciation at home on their own. There are discussions, audio journals, pronunciation exercises, and other forms of oral language practice added to spoken language in Voiceboard.

Planning to make a survey using Google docs will be one of the first steps of my project which is helpful for me to get to know my students’ interests and needs in English learning. Moreover, to better understand students’ reading competence I would try EasyTestMaker tool to make a test that all the formatting is done, word banks are randomized and answer keys are created too.

In addition, I downloaded the program Hot Potatoes - at http://hotpot.uvic.ca/ to use it on my computer. It can help me create matching, cloze, scrambled sentence, and multiple choice exercises and crossword puzzles. I’ll explore it for my test making. I believe that it won’t take me much time to create a test as using Hot Potatoes and EasyTestMaker. I’ll try them both. ;-)

Best,
Phuong-Mai

2 comments:

  1. Hello Phuong-Mai,
    I want to reply your post because for me, it’s very interesting to know other experiences.
    I also learned more about online tools for enhance learning. Anvill has lots a activities which help us to improve our skills through aural-oral language lessons allow the learners to practice pronunciation, listening and speaking in funny way. On this way, students get confidence, autonomy and motivation to learn.
    I have been reading that “Hot potato” program is a good resource. I couldn’t download it, but I will try again. It seem an interesting tool to use in class too.
    Good luck with your project!
    Best regards,
    Santiago

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Santiago,

    Thanks for your comments. Yeah, we should explore these wonderful online tools for the sake of our English teaching though this helpful course is coming to an end. For us, it will never end at all, right? ;-)

    You too. Good luck with your final project.

    Cheers,
    Phuong-Mai

    ReplyDelete